POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A very interesting article about light pollution : Re: A very interesting article about light pollution Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A very interesting article about light pollution
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Sep 2007 11:18:04
Message: <46e8032c$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:56:20 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:

>>> What deliver babies in parking lots?
>>
>> Um, no, I leave that to my wife. ;-)
>
> Good call, you just drive her there.

Something like that, yes.  She's the one who took training to be a
midwife, after all. ;-)

>> Yeah, it's difficult at best - I've gotten better the last couple of
>> years, but there's still a bit of that 'moth' reaction - bright light,
>> must stare at it...
>
> But even if you don't everything vanishes, especially regarding the
> ponces with halogens 'Well it allows me to see where I'm going more
> clearly' shame it prevents anyone else.

Well, yes and no....I don't mind the halogens if they're aimed properly.

>> My wife's got occular albinism, so she *can't* drive at night (bright
>> lights blind her for 10-15 seconds, which is an eternity when driving),
>> so I have to.
>
> That must be an annoyance for her, making you the default designated
> driver.

Yep, and sometimes for me as well - though I don't drink much, it does
mean that I need to watch myself when we go out, since I end up having to
drive us home.

>> Well, you still want headlights, though - otherwise you can't see the
>> cars coming at you from any direction.
>
> Oh sure, but why do they need to be angled where they are; why do you
> need two pair I wonder what would happen if we went back to war-time
> conditions with cardboard stuck over the lights with just small slits
> cut out of them.

We'd still have people who forget.  Part of the issue, I think, is that
some drivers become reliant on DRL, which are high beams at 50% or
something like that - which are aimed higher.  The manufacturers need to
use the regular lights rather than the highs.

And put a gizmo in the seat to shock the driver if they drive with only
their DRLs or lights off after dark.

>>  That's one of my pet peeves about
>> driving, people who drive after dark without their lights.  Makes me
>> want to ram them...
>
> Mines the reverse, people driving along with full lights on when they
> don't need to. Really don't see many people driving without lights at
> night, some faulty ones perhaps or just side-lights (which is legal in
> street-lit areas). Biggest bugbear now is those cars that switch the
> side-lights on automatically regardless of light conditions Seriously
> people if I can't see your car in full bloody daylight having two dim
> lights on at the front ain't gonna make a difference.

Side-lights?  I don't think we've got that over here....

Jim